Sunday, August 10, 2008

Sunday's Peace

The quiet canopy of green
Rustles in the breeze
The squirrels chatter overhead
Among the ruffled leaves.
The jay is calling to his mates,
“Come see what I have found
There’s a windfall pile of nuts
Scattered on the ground.”

It’s Sunday and the day is long,
The rains have finally passed,
The breezes sigh a summer song
And I can rest at last
Among the sounds from nearby homes,
The children’s laughing play,
I find the quiet sounds of peace
That come at close of day.

And as I sit here quietly
Beneath the wide blue sky
You sent a precious gift to me
An eagle just flew by.
I had recalled it, just today,
The sign you gave before,
But there’re no eagles where I am…
And yet one just flew o’er.

And so, cocooned in Sunday’s peace,
I linger in this place
Of jays and squirrels and passing signs
Of Your eternal Grace.

No comments: