Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day 2008

The sounds of my day off

The wind that rustles the fallen leaves
And those still clinging to empty trees
The wind chime playing a dancing song
Whisp'ring evergreens swaying along

The fragrances of my day off

Chicken and dumplings, bubbling hot
The last tomatoes the harvest brought
Cornbread and cookies cool on the rack
Fragrant wood smoke blown in from out back

The Blessings of my day off

Fresh flannel sheets, a soft feather spread
The chance of a nap, my cozy bed
Tea and hot cider, a favorite book
A long steamy bath, photos I took

The honor of my day off

Dirty and cold in Afghanistan
More weary than’s fair for any man
Patrolling the dark heart of Iraq
Praying to heaven that you’ll get back
Holding the line for the folks back here
Who love you, need you, hold you so dear
Warriors and heroes, who served and still do,
I owe you these blessings, I honor you.

No comments: