Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Brian Piercy, Killed in Afghanistan July 19, 2010

I wept when I heard you’d fallen
I can’t believe it’s real.
A fine, sweet man, so much to give.
I wish I couldn’t feel.
My body stayed there in my chair,
My soul fell down to kneel.

I tried to drown the pain in wine
And chocolate by default,
But the chocolate tasted bitter,
The wine tasted like salt;
Since bitter tears pour down my face,
It’s probably my fault.

The news is dry and meaningless,
Another hero dies,
And somewhere in a America
Another mother cries.
But this time when the tears spill down
They’re falling from my eyes

Oh God, I just keep praying that
This news will not be true.
I lift my prayers to heaven, but
I don’t think they get through
Because the world still turns around,
But it turns without you.

No comments: