Monday, November 22, 2010

Winter's Love




















In the grayness of the winter
When all the world’s asleep,
My heart drowns in frigid waters;
The cold tears that I weep.

Somewhere in the winter’s darkness
I hear your whispered voice;
You left me on the eve of autumn
And leaving was your choice.

You could have stayed and kept me warm
While snows piled deep and chill,
You left me to warm another
And winter wracks me still

I prayed that you’d return to me
With every tear I cried,
But I know you will not return;
Your love for me has died.

That sweet spot where love first blossomed
Is shrouded in deep snows.
The scars of winter mar its beauty,
For love no longer grows.

And I will not return that way,
Though winter’s snows may melt,
For summer’s sun can never thaw
This bitter cold I’ve felt.

And in the grayness of winter
Your dead love still lives on,
Frozen within my icy heart;
It bides, though you’ve moved on.

No comments: