Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bikes and Joy

I wandered through the warm, green wood,

I sought my daily praise

But nothing came to me at all

It’s been a rough few days.


The cool green shade, the sunlit fern,

The smell of winter’s wood,

The alder sheathed in bright green moss,

But none of it seemed good.


And then I heard a shrieking laugh

A bold triumphant cheer,

‘I did it daddy, did you see?

I rode from there to here!”


A little girl on her first bike

Without a training wheel

Was wobbling as she peddled hard

Up on her daddy’s heel


And all the while her mom and dad

Offered advice and cheers

While hovering right by her side

As if to calm her fears.


I stood there watching all of this

And whooped a cheer or two

When suddenly I realized

That’s just what God would do.


He watches over each of us

To catch us when we fall,

And when we need Him, He’s right there

He answers when we call.


I’m glad I got to watch her play,

To hear her laugh with glee;

I’m glad she learned to ride that bike

And shared a praise with me.

No comments: