Monday, September 10, 2007

Aging

The dreams of youth have passed me by,
the wisdom of age eludes me.
I cannot, now, with eagles fly,
that much exercise excludes me.
I've found my energy ebbs low
before I've even dressed to go.

There was a time, though now long gone,
when strength was not so quick to flight.
When I was first to start the song,
I went not gentle into night.
Now, as the evening calls to me
my bed is where I long to be.

The aging process takes its toll
on cities grand and castles bold.
Empires fade as the ages roll,
mem'ries weaken, then grow cold.
But matters seem to be astray
now that it's my hair turning gray!

Dear friend, don't misconstrue these lines.
I don't mean to sound dejected.
I haven't lost my grand designs.
I'm not really disaffected.
I'm just amazed how rapidly
the aging process worked on me.