Monday, September 10, 2007

From a Poster of Faeries and Flying Cows

As late one day through the wood I strayed,
unwitting, I stopped in a Fairy glade.
A tall cordon rank of Hemlock and Fir
secured the glade from wind's evening stir.
In the heart of the glade the sky shone fair,
a Malachite ring around Lapis air.

I stopped but to rest my wearied feet,
to rest on a soft bed of needles sweet.
I meant to pause just a moment or two
but the air was sweet and the sky was blue.
When next I opened my sleepy eyes
I sat bolt upright in deepest surprise.

The forest had vanished and in its place
were soft rolling hills and rugged cliff face.
The sunset sparkled on waters green,
the shore of an ocean, I'd never seen.
Then the air above me shimmered and whirred,
stirred by the wings of some mighty bird.

A creature most gentle from tail to brow,
but, without a doubt, it was a winged cow.
Sweet and soft the wind stirred by those wings
and scented of flowers and fragrant things.
From astride this great and gentle beast
a small Elf bade me come join their feast.

Though I demurred, it was to no avail
and soon I was perched before the cow's tail.
The Elven King, whom I learned him to be,
accepts no regrets for his courtesy.
To his feast I was bid, to feast I'd go
on a winged cow, say I yes or no.

As we rose toward the Sun in our gentle flight
she sank in the sea and bade us good night.
The sky soon sparkled with many a star
and from all directions, from near and far
my ears were tickled by bells on winged cows
and the laughter of elves, their calls and bows
to the King of the Elves, Lord of the feast.
But I sat quite still upon that great beast.

For well did I know the tales that were told
of youth that returned from Faery quite old.
The opposite tale I'd also heard told
of youth that returned to a world grown old.
So quiet I sat and quiet did stay
and watched for the chance I might slip away.

My chance never came for swiftly we rose.
From height or speed or my own fear I froze
until 'cross my ear a soft breath did slide
and another winged cow settled beside.
Its tinkling bell and its warm fragrant breath
soon eased all my fears of Faery and death.

My spirit lightened as onward we flew,
and ere we landed in my heart I knew
I hoped n'er to leave this magical place
where time passes only at laughter's pace.
I joined in the feasting and in the song
until the Sun once again came along

to call a halt to the night's sweet revels.
For even in Faery the Sun dispels
the dreams of the night, both fair and fell
and sends them all packing to heaven or hell.
Thus it was that I woke in the forest glade
and felt the coolness of evergreen shade.

I felt in my breast deep pain start to swell,
'til in the distance I heard a soft bell. I
followed the rich, sweet tone of its ring
hoping to find a fey cow on the wing.
Quick though I followed I never drew nigh
to cow, or Elf, or Faery's clear sky.

Neither age nor time lost I in Faery,
but still I caution you, friend, be wary.
I've learned it's not always by proving fears
that Faery marks us with mortal tears,
but also by granting a dream come true
and then by withdrawing that dream from you.

I am, now, wiser than I was then,
and hope in my heart is wearing thin
for I know I'll not see Faery again.
For being seduced by that kingdom I've paid.
My heart withered like a plant without shade,
though time is helping the memory to fade.
Except, sometimes a sweet bell will ring
and I will weep for remembering
the beauty of Fairy Cows on the wing.

No comments: