Monday, September 10, 2007

The Gryphon and His Auntie

A sweet Gryphon and his Auntiewanted to go play.
But Auntie was a Dryad who in her green wood must stay.
While Gryphon had bright, golden wings with which to fly away.
So, where would Gryphon and Auntie both find some place to play?

"Come fly with me among the clouds and chase the gusty wind!
Come sit atop the bright rainbow!"So said the young Gryphon.
"Come, let’s play hide and seek a while down by the river’s bend
where many forest shadows dwell", Said Auntie to Gryphon.

"Now, Gryphon, you know I can’t fly above the magic wood.
You know I’d come play anywhere if I only could.
But I am bound to these green trees and they’re bound where they’ve stood
for centuries and centuries", said the Faerie of the Wood.

"But I can fly real fast and high and then come swooping down!
It isn’t any fun to hide and seek here on the ground!
I want to use my golden wings to sail the world around.
It isn’t FAIR that I can’t fly!"He squeaked a small, sad sound.

Then Auntie clapped her faerie hands together with great glee!
"I have a plan, my Gryphon dear! A great plan, yes indeed!
You fly straight up there in the air above the tallest tree,
then you come whooshing down again and then try to find me!"

And I will hide beside the lake or in the forest green.
For, in my wood, I’m hard to find, and very seldom seen!
And if you find me, little one, here in my forest scene,
I’ll tell of the magic worlds in places you’ve not been!"

So Gryphon closed his golden eyes and whooshed up past the trees
until he reached the highest clouds above the tallest trees.
And then he opened up his eyes and called out, "If you please!
I’m on my way back down, Auntie! No ollie-in-come-frees!"

He swept along the river bed, he flitted through the wood.
He checked the tree roots, deep and dark, he really checked them good!
Cause Gryphon knew his Auntie dear would hide well if she could.
He sought her high and sought her low throughout the whole green wood!

And when he’d looked just everywhere, before he quite gave in,
he spotted a small, deep blue lake. He took a breath... and then
sweet Gryphon circled way up high and, well, he dove right in!
The water splashed up from the lake almost to the sky!

And there, among the splashing drops of lake water on high,
was Auntie, laughing right out loud, at such a clever guy
to spot her hiding place so fast and toss her up so high!
Then Gryphon grinned and said to her,"You can’t hide, though you try!"


So up they flew on Gryphon wings up to the tallest tree
to let the wind dry hair and fur and see what they could see,
while Auntie kept her promise true and sang songs, wild and free,
of all the places she had known before she found her trees.

Then, as the sun set in the sky and night began to fall,
both Gryphon and his Auntie dear heard Gryphon’s Momma call.
So Gryphon sweetly kissed his Aunt and said, "I had a ball!
I’m glad we found a way to play that was fun for one and all!"

No comments: