Monday, September 10, 2007

To a Friend Who Moved Away

As the miles grow between us,
as you go farther out of reach,
I will mark those miles with sorrow
by letting fall a tear for each.

Our lives must follow different paths
and only briefly did they cross.
The friendship that once brought such joy
now, also, brings the pain of loss.

Dear Friend, sweet Sister, must you go?
You tell me that you're needed there.
Just in case you haven't noticed...
You are also needed here.

Who will share the little pleasures,
those no one else can understand,
which bound our hearts and lives together
for a brief, but happy span.

I know distance is no measure
by which a friendship can be judged.
But distance robs me of your presence,
therefore, this move is much begrudged.

Laughter has always been my way
to deal with sorrow or with pain.
I will not let a bitter feeling,
our last few days together, stain.

But when you pull out of our street
and seek the eastward path again,
the sun will vanish in the clouds
and all my world will turn to rain.

And as the miles grow between us,
as you go farther out of reach,
I will mark those miles with sorrow
by letting fall a tear for each.