Monday, September 10, 2007

The Unicorn

She wandered nightly on the strand,
where the ocean kisses the land,
chasing the waves 'cross moonlit sand.
Sometimes returning with the morn.
Twas there she met the Unicorn.

She was a child, though truly grown,
who, only love and trust had known.
As life, with treachery is sown,
I feared her ways would lead to scorn.
I had no thought of Unicorn.

And thus I questioned her one dawn,
as, home at last, she crossed the lawn.
Her smile was light and sweetly drawn.
She swore her dress had thus been torn
while racing with the Unicorn.

Being worldly, in my own right,
I viewed her tale in skeptic's light
and doubted not she'd passed the night
with one who'd leave her soon forlorn.
I'd never seen a Unicorn.

My anger shattered her sweet calm.
She wept, face hidden in her palm
and for her tears I found no balm.
It stabbed her like a wicked thorn
that I could doubt the Unicorn.

But I'd forgot what legends told
of mythic Unicorns of old
and maidens pure as finest gold.
Of common innocence are born
both maidens and the Unicorn.

And one may draw the other near
for moments joyous or sincere
while those nearby mayn't see or heart
the gentle touch on golden horn
as maiden greets the Unicorn.

So late that night she, quiet, fled.
Leaving behind her childhood bed,
she sought the sandy beach instead.
I followed, to prove her forsworn
when she met man, not Unicorn.

My heart felt dark and cold as night
'neath the moon's ethereal light,
as I looked o'er the last dune's height.
There in a glow as bright as morn
stood the girl with a Unicorn.

I saw her stroke the creature's head.
I could not hear the words she said,
but I felt my heart stopping dead
as into starlight she was born
astride the racing Unicorn.

I struggled 'cross the sandy beach
frantic, desperate, them to reach.
Calling, crying, I did beseech
not to be left, of all joy, shorn
by losing girl and Unicorn.

I reached the place where last they trod.
Found cloven hoof prints, never shod,
where passed two creatures, blessed by God,
the gentle child, whom I had born,
and living myth, the Unicorn.

Through my deep sorrow I have learned
a truth, that in my heart has burned.
Her innocence had my guilt spurned.
Thus, from my life, has hers been torn
to bless that of the Unicorn.

Now I walk nightly on the strand
where the cold oceans brush the land
hoping my love will draw again
to me the child that I still morn
and with her, too, the Unicorn.

No comments: