Monday, September 10, 2007

Sir Danny and the Dragon

Danny'd had a lousy day!
They said he was too small to play!
They said he had to go away!
So as he walked home, spirits saggin',
wouldn't you know, he's stopped by a Dragon!

"I'm a mean and nasty Dragon",
roared this beast, his tail just waggin'.
"Don't you think that I'm just braggin'.
When I say that I will scare you.
You had better believe it's true!"

Well, Danny knew what we all know,
if you aren't big you can't just grow.
But he could be a small hero!
So, Danny stood up straight and tall
and said he wasn't scared at all!

The Dragon roared and streaks of fire
reached the tree tops, then went higher!
That scaly monster said with ire,
"You act brave, but scared you'll be
when I climb up that big, tall tree!"

Now, I'll admit that's not real scary.
But, when something big and hairy
warns you to be scared... be wary!
Still, bold Danny saw no danger
in the threat made by this stranger.

"I live where trees are very tall.
Though, as you see I'm very small,
I climb those trees, I climb them all.
So you will never frighten me
by simply climbing up a tree."

"Well, I know what will frighten you",
that fearsome Dragon said, then blew
a ring of smoke, sparkly and blue.
"I'll sneak up stairs and make your bed!"
The blue smoke curled around his head.

Now we all know that any chore
can be a bother or a bore.
So our bold boy thought long before,
"I'm a good boy", he bravely said,
"and every day I make my bed."

The Dragon roared so loud the birds
in all the trees, flew off in herds!
Then he whispered these fiery words,
"I know something I'm sure will scare.
I'll wash your face and comb your hair!"
The Dragon sat back proud and smug
and gave himself a Dragon hug.
But our brave boy just gave a shrug.

"Mother loves me and she's not mean,
she combs my hair and keeps me clean."
"It's obvious you just don't see
that being scary's quite easy.
In fact, it's rather clear to me
that you're not really mean at all",
said our hero, brave and small.

"I think, perhaps, you ought to try
to be a friendly, scaly guy
and not to make small children cry!"
The Dragon gave a fearsome snort"
But Dragons aren't the friendly sort"
he said and sat down with a sigh.
"I know I'm not fierce, but I try.

For if I can't make children cry
the real fierce Dragons soon will snub
and I can't join their Dragon club!"
Then that great Dragon shed a tear
and more, it seemed, would soon appear
'til our young hero said with cheer,

"My Mom once told me what to do
when other kids make fun of you."
"My Mom, I've found, knows everything
from why stars shine to why birds sing.
And my Mom said, with anything,
if it is not just right for you
then you find something else to do!"

"If other Dragons don't think you fit
then you don't worry, not a whit!
You start your own club, bit by bit,
and only let in Dragons who
like being friendly, just like you!"

"And I will spend my time in play
with kids who don't just always say,
"You're much too small, so go away!"
I think this plan's a real good one
for little boy or big Dragon!"

So, as the day drew to it's end
Dragon asked Danny to be his friend
and promised never to scare again
any more little boys or girls.
Well, maybe sometimes little girls.